Friday, November 7, 2008

Just Getting Started...

I've wanted to start a blog for a while now. Today I decided to get started. My first problem...finding a name I liked. My first thought was to use the name of my garden site, "Iris Meadow", but I wanted something a little more vague and with a broader scope. I love the names my sister and sister-in-law choose for their blogs, "Days with the Dooners" and "Travels of a Book Loving Mom". They seem quite natural choices to me. But for my own...I just couldn't think of something I liked. So, as is my custom, I looked to the Internet for ideas. The suggestion I liked was to pick two words you like and combine them.

I wrote down words and some phrases that came to mind; lift, scruffy, scruff, "Isle of Patmos", 4 minutes, Blackwood, coastal, 'scape, blue, shading, fuel, garden, "don't sit still", cosmos, iris, grilling, aperitif, grueling, "grueling lift". Then I thought of two food shows I really enjoy: "Everyday Food" -- which invoked the words clean, blurry, smooth, restrained and "Nigella Express" / "Nigella Feasts" -- which predominantly conjured the word "witty".

While I would never claim to be a particularly witty person, Nigella Lawson's witty British flare makes me envious. And so I decided to combine "blue", my favorite color, with "wit". Together, they describe my laid back, subduded approach to life. Hopefully, I'll convey this style to you through my words.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. Cool name - I'll check back often.